Thursday, August 27, 2009

What's wrong with your skin?!

My dear fellow psoriasis friends, how often do you get such questions? To state it out loud and clear, I HATE such questions. Sometimes I think it might be easier if it was acne (although I don't want that either!) because everyone knows what it is. But for psoriasis, the awareness is still pretty low. Sometimes I don't have the energy to explain the whole condition so I'll just say, "You know ezcema? It's something like that." These people are generally quite happy with such explanation and proceed to ask, "Is it itchy? Have you tried this and that before? Oh you poor thing, luckily it's just on your hands and not on your face."

Silently I'll think to myself, "Well you don't really know what I have to go through. Having to cover up all the time when there is a flare, jogging with long pants during daytime, subjecting myself to stares of strangers when I unconsciously scratch flakes off my scalp." Even my other half scolds me about it.

The most upsetting thing is when you have to spend 1/2 hour after each shower to apply mosturiser & ointment on all the spots. This is not even guaranteed to improve the skin but we have to keep the routine. If I miss just once, my other half will lecture me about it. Common, some people have difficulty even brushing their teeth or washing their face with cleanser everyday eventhough it's a necessity! Here I am getting the 3rd degree for being not motivated to apply the ointment once a while.

Sometimes people need to understand that above everything else, we WANT to get better! If it's proven to work why would we not want to do it?! But we have tried so many things to no avail, all the good but sometimes misguided advices from relatives and friends, what more can we do?

OLIVENOL might be part of the answer, maybe not. I hope it does help us. We need a break once in a while! :)

5 comments:

  1. Yup I feel for you.I had a friend once who had really bad psoriasis and we were having BKT.And the stupid Owner kept on saying Eat this Frog Leg and Tiger's B*lls and all that crap.It's just crappy! Yup we understand... So no more Wolverine Jokes frome Me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a question i alwiz try to avoid... especially wen i was skooling... it was hard trying to explain to kids... nowadays i just say i have dandruff problem or i have dry skin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally understand what you mean! i definitely hate the part people ask and keep asking, and the fact that we indeed have to spend extra time to moisturize after shower.

    anyway for your scalp, you may want to try henna treatment, i just tried. it's henna paste (grounded henna leaves) and it has this cooling effect. it works for me so far...hoping it will work for a long time.

    have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thanks for the suggestion! Henna treatment huh? OK will go and check it out, since it's recommended by a fellow friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete